(303) 772-3711 x110
Hello, families! I am looking forward to my fourth year in 3rd grade because I really enjoy this age group. I am an Imagine parent too, my son is a sixth grader. I have a daughter who is a junior at Mead High School. I am originally from Ohio; however, I've lived in Colorado for so long that I feel like this is my home. I love to exercise, for example: walking, running, going to yoga, hiking, biking, dancing, playing golf, etc. As much as I like to move, I like to sit around and read, play board games and watch movies. In my class, we will learn, while we get our groove on. This year is going to be a lot of fun!
Units of Study
All homework is listed on the calendar. Just click on a date.
- Math: We will learn about bar graphs and line plots, and fractions, and continue to work on multiplication fluency.
- Ch. 13 Bar Graphs and Line Plots
- Ch. 14 Fractions
- Science: We will be studying astronomy. What is a constellation? What are the names of the planets in our solar system? What is the difference between a solar system and the universe?
- Social Studies: We will be studying Vikings. Who is Erik the Red? When did the Viking Era take place? Why are the Vikings considered a civilization? What did the Viking import and export?
- Writing: We will practice using the dictionary, conjunctions, complex sentences, prefixes, and suffixes in Grammar and Morphology. We will create poems and write a character essay.
- Reading: We will explore the different parts of mythology in our Vikings unit: Gods, Heroes, and Tricksters from Scandinavia, Norse Gods and Goddesses, The World Tree and the End of the World, and Loki and the Gifts of the Gods (p. 44-45). We will practice looking for author's purpose, sequencing, and comparing and contrasting. We will incorporate curriculum vocabulary through word work during the Daily 5.
- Spelling: We will have new words every Monday and will have a test every Friday. EACH STUDENT WILL HAVE A NEW SPELLING EACH WEEK, PLEASE LOOK IN YOUR STUDENT'S PLANNER TO SEE WHICH ONES THAT THEY WILL NEED TO STUDY FOR THE TEST AT THE END OF THE WEEK!
- Core Knowledge/Virtues: We will read and analyze different poems like Tree (What Your Third Grader Needs to Know, p. 11) and For Want of a Nail (p. 11). We will study the idiom, "Last straw" (p. 61). Our virtue of the month is Courage. Doing what is right in the face of fear. Moving beyond fear. Finding the strength to venture and persevere.
- Homework: Check the Google Calendar. Dr. Robert J. Marzano of the Learning Sciences Marzano Center, states that "...homework for younger children should help them develop good study habits, foster positive attitudes toward school, and communicate to students the idea that learning takes work at home as well as school."
Links and Resources
-Board Game Club is on Friday, January 6th.
-No school on Friday, January 13th, and Monday, January 16th.
-Store is on Tuesday, January 17th. Make sure to bring something to sell!
-Early Release is Thursday and Friday, January 26-27, 2017.